The UT Austin test for credit in Computer Science 303E consists of questions concerning basic computer architecture, basic software components, and Python syntax and semantics, as well as programming tasks that will be graded by representatives of the department.
This test is offered on the UT Austin campus just before the fall semester, mid-semester fall, and mid-semester spring. Visit the Test Registration System to view and register for upcoming test dates.
Additional Eligibility Information
To be eligible for credit by examination in CS 303E, you must not already have a passing or a failing grade in CS 303E, 305J, CS 312, or an equivalent course.
Computer Science 303E may not be counted towards a degree in computer science.
The total of the fees for the test is $85. When you register for a test, you will immediately be billed for the non-refundable test registration fee of $25. After you take the test, you will be billed for the test fee of $60. Payments are due within 14 days of the billing date. All fees are subject to change.
Computer Science 303E, Elements of Computers and Programming, is the first course in the Elements of Computing program, which is designed for students who are majoring in some discipline other than computer science and want to develop programming skills. For topics in more detail, see "Study Aids" below.
Test questions will be chosen from the topics that are covered in CS 303E.
- Basic computer organization: hardware and software
- Introduction to software development
- Problem solving and program development
- Python language elements
- Algorithms including sorting and searching
- Simple data structures including lists and dictionaries
- Survey of computer applications
- Python for Software Design: How to Think Like a Computer Scientist, by Allen B. Downey, Cambridge University Press, 2009.
- Starting out with Python, by Tony Gaddis, Addison Wesley, 2008.
- Python Programming in Context, by Bradley Miller and David Ranum, Jones and Bartlett, 2009.
Test Results and Retakes:
Results are available within a few days, in time to register for classes.
You may take this test only once.
|UT Austin Courses||Notes|
|CS 303E||No cut scores are publicized for this test.|