The UT Austin test for credit in Computer Science 312 consists of questions concerning basic computer architecture, basic software components, and Java syntax and semantics, as well as programming tasks that will be graded by representatives of the department.
This test is offered on the UT Austin campus just before the fall semester, mid-semester fall, and mid-semester spring. Visit the Test Registration System to view and register for upcoming test dates.
Additional Eligibility Information
To be eligible for credit by examination in CS 312, you must not already have a passing or failing grade in CS 312 or its equivalent.
The total of the fees for the test is $85. When you register for a test, you will immediately be billed for the non-refundable test registration fee of $25. After you take the test, you will be billed for the test fee of $60. Payments are due within 14 days of the billing date. All fees are subject to change.
Computer Science 312, Introduction to Computer Science, serves as an introduction to computer science for students who wish to become computer science majors but lack basic programming skills. More detailed topics can be found below.
Test questions will be chosen from the topics that are covered in CS 312.
- Basic computer organization: hardware and software
- Problem solving and program development
- Java language elements
- Algorithms including sorting and searching
- Simple data structures
- Standard Java classes
- Designing and implementing algorithms
- Object oriented concepts
- Building Java Programs, 2nd edition, by Stuart Reges and Marty Stepp, Addison-Wesley, 2010.
- Introduction to Java Programming, Brief Edition, 7th edition, by Y. Daniel Liang, Prentice Hall, 2008.
- Java Concepts for Java 5 and 6, 5th edition, by Cay Horstmann, Wiley, 2008.
Sample exams and solutions:
Test Results and Retakes:
Results are available within a few days, in time to register for classes.
You may take this test only once.
|UT Austin Courses||Notes|
|CS 312||No cut scores are publicized for this test.|