Students for Whom the Placement Test is Recommended or Appropriate
Students whose degree plan allows M 305G (Precalculus), have the option of testing out of the course with an eligible score on the UT Exam for M 305G (Pre-Calculus) Credit. Credit for M 305G may not be earned, however, after a student has received credit for any calculus course with a grade of C- or better.
Where and When to Take the Test
UT Austin students may take the UT Exam for M 305G (Pre-Calculus) Credit on the UT Austin campus on a date set by UT Austin. Please review the ID Requirements, as students arriving without proper ID may not test.
The UT Exam for M 305G (Pre-Calculus) Credit is given on the UT Austin campus during regularly scheduled testing periods: just before the first summer session, during summer orientation, just before the fall semester, mid-semester fall, just before the spring semester, and mid semester-spring. Visit the Test Registration System to view and register for upcoming test dates.
Exam Content and Format:
This exam tests your ability to work with the functions commonly encountered in a calculus course. You will be expected to:
- Perform operations on algebraic expressions
- Solve equations and inequalities, including linear, quadratic, absolute value, polynomial, rational, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric
- Identify and describe properties of functions, including domain and range, intervals of increase and decrease, intervals of positivity and negativity, and vertical asymptotes.
- Perform operations on functions, such as function evaluation and computation of a function's inverse
- Recognize and perform operations and transformations on functions in symbolic or graphical form
- Recognize basic graph types such as linear, quadratic, cubic, absolute value, rational, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric and translate functions between symbolic and graphical form
- Apply basic trigonometric identities to manipulate trigonometric expressions or equations
- Use trigonometric functions to solve problems
- Evaluate one-sided and two-sided limits using a function's graph or formula
The exam contains approximately 30 multiple choice questions.
The use of a scientific calculator or non-CAS graphing calculator is allowed but not required for this exam. Students may bring their own calculator, but scientific calculators will be provided as well. Students may not share a calculator during the test.
Most college-level precalculus textbooks cover the above topics and are appropriate to use in preparing for this exam. UT uses the following books, which are available free:
- Algebra and Trigonometry by Abramson, https://openstax.org/details/books/algebra-and-trigonometry
- Precalculus by Abramson, https://openstax.org/details/books/precalculus
The total of the fees for this test is $85. When you register for a test, you will immediately be billed for the non-refundable test registration fee of $25. After you take the test, you will be billed for the test fee of $60. Payments are due within 14 days of the billing date. All fees are subject to change.
Test Results and Retakes:
You may take the UT Exam for M 305G (Pre-Calculus) Credit one time.
Results are available within a few days after the test date, in time to register for classes.
|UT Austin Courses||Score Range||Notes|
|M 305G||70 or higher|