In 2008, we published a comprehensive report of three studies addressing whether an eCIS system provides information and security comparable to the paper-based CIS system (eCIS Institution Report August 2008.pdf). In 2010, a follow up study was conducted to further explore the effects of paper and electronic use at UT Austin for the past 5 years (Evaluation of Electronic versus Paper CIS Use at UTAustin October 2010.pdf). We recommend that you and administrators consider these findings when you make your choice of paper or electronic CIS.
The questionnaires available to course instructors, teaching assistants, and lab instructors vary by college and department. Contact your CIS department contact for your department’s policy and to request a specific questionnaire.
- Basic Form (B100)
- Expanded Form (E100)
- Expanded Form + Architecture Supplement (E141)
- Basic Form + Discussion Supplement (B142)
- Expanded Form + Discussion Supplement (E142)
- Basic Form + Laboratory Supplement (B144)
- Expanded Form + Laboratory Supplement (E144)
- Basic Form + Applied Music Ensemble Supplement (B145)
- Expanded Form + Applied Music Ensemble Supplement (E145)
- Basic Form + Student Teaching Supplement (B148)
- Basic Form + Studio Art and Design Supplement (B149)
- Expanded Form + Studio Art and Design Supplement (E149)
- Expanded Form + Social Work Supplement (E152)
- Expanded Form + Education Supplement (E157)
- Expanded Form + Nursing Supplement (E158)
- Expanded Form + Nursing Clinical Rotation Supplement (E159)
- Expanded Form + Nursing Skills Lab Supplement (E160)
- Basic Form + Substantial Writing Component (B162)
- Expanded Form + Substantial Writing Component (E162)
- Basic Form + Practicum Supplement (B163)
- Expanded Form + Practicum Supplement (E163)
- Basic Form + Signature Course Supplement (B164)
- Basic Form + ASL Supplement (B343)
- Expanded Form + ASL Supplment (E343)
- Law School Form (S151)
- Teaching Assistant Form (50)
- Teaching Assistant Form + Discussion Supplement (65)
- Teaching Assistant Form + Laboratory Supplement (67)
- Teaching Assistant Form + Applied Music and Ensemble Supplement (68)
- Teaching Assistant Form + Studio Art and Design Supplement (69)
The Comments section of the survey sheet may be used to have students respond to essay questions. Instructors may wish to present students with some questions to consider when filling out the Comment section. Students could also be asked to comment on a particular aspect of the course such as the text, an assignment, or a course topic.
In 2006, we published a study investigating how often students write comments, the topics of those comments, how students who wrote comments differed from those who did not, and how the tone of written comments related to overall instructor and course ratings (A Study of Students Written Course Evaluation Comments at a Public University 2006.pdf).
Optional Questions Provided by the Instructor
Multiple choice questions of the instructor's choosing may be added to the end of the paper survey. View sample questions and guidelines for generating your own questions.